Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Mom vs Toddler

Mom prevails! (I've been watching a lot of Man vs Food lately)

Anyway, the childproofing "war" is never ending.  I lock something up and Luke figures out something new to get in to.  Since I've been home for the summer Luke learned to open the oven, mess with the dishwasher, open the pantry, flush the toilet...the list goes on. 

Exhibit A - no locks

So lets start from the basics - cabinet locks are fairly easy to install and keep him out of the stuff in the kitchen.  Done and Done.

The pantry and powder room door are bi-fold doors.  Luke is barely tall enough to reach the door knobs but came up with this crazy plan about shoving his fingers in the fold part of the door and prying it open just enough that he can fit his hand in the door and open it up.  Talk about stressful - he could pinch the crap out of his fingers and he has no fear.  Not to mention this gave him access to the cat food container and boy did that turn out to be fun.  But don't worry, Mom won, remember.  We found plastic covers for the top of the door that only grown-ups or a Jolly Green Giant baby can reach. 


Then there's the oven and dishwasher.  They come with locks, solution found right?  Wrong.  Luke knows how to lock and unlock both using the lock that is installed.  The oven lock we bought was easy to find and no big deal.  Our dishwasher on the other hand was really hard to figure out.  I kept buying locks at the stores but nothing would fit correctly and worked for our situation.  Yesterday I won!  I found a lock that we can put part on the counter, part on the dishwasher, and no way little Luke can undo it.  (Thank you Target!)

The one appliance Luke hasn't figured out yet is the refrigerator. I'm thinking its not too far away now.  No worries though, the lock I used on the dishwasher was a two-pack. 

As of today, Mom is victorious!  Tomorrow may be another story. 

3 comments:

AG said...

Does Luke have a little temper yet? Ex. when he cannot budge the door, dishwasher, etc.? I think I can hear things rattling just a bit as he tries.

I do believe I'll steal these great ideas so DJ & Susan will be prepared for Ben & Sam before they begin their investigations. It will be soon ... they are up on all fours. And they will no doubt go in opposite directions. Yikes!

Happy 4th! What's up?

Ruth said...

ut oh - I had better get lots of duct tape for next weekend!

ABA said...

Exhibit A never happened on my watch... hummmm :-)