Thursday, May 20, 2010

Weeds

I'm not a huge fan of gardening. I like to be outside and I like to have something that looks nice outside of my house, but I'm not real big into the actual maintenance a garden requires. Turns out that I live on the most fertile piece of land in Mountville though.

This is my fourth spring at this house. The lady that lived here before us must have LOVED gardening, she left me a layout of the plants she planted and special hosing/piping to water the roses. Say what lady? You're lucky if we even get any roses.

As much as I have tried to kill certain plants that this crazy gardener lady had planted they keep coming back!! The last three springs Zach, me, and several relatives have shed blood and sweat (and almost tears) out back digging out rose bushes, crazy vine plants - several different types, Lamb's ear, and all sorts of other things as well. They. Just. Won't. Go!

I look out back and dread having to pull weeds all summer long. And by weeds, I mean crazy long vines, clover type things everywhere, corn stalks that keep coming back, all sorts of weird crap. I've tried everything. We dug down about 3 feet last year thinking we got all of the bush gone, wrong! I put down that cloth weed trapper material last year, mulched a thick layer on top, and still my yard is jam packed with stuff I don't want.

Right now there is trumpet vine that is growing higher than my head right through the middle of a bush, lovely. I know my neighbors must hate me, but their little chunk of land isn't cursed like mine. If only they understood. So now that the weather is nice, I have no excuse to not take care of it. Blah. I hate weeds.

3 comments:

AG said...

(hummingbirds love trumpet vine; if you have to get rid of it, put a piece of it at the back end of your property so it can grow up a tree; they will delight Luke)

Ruth said...

WHAT??? Even with that most excellent tool that stupid bush lives on??? OK, I'll be up to do another round of weeding!!

ABA said...

Hang in there .... winter is coming and everything will die from the first freeze