Sunday, June 16, 2013

Today Made Me Sad

It's Father's Day and Zach is an awesome father who loves donuts so Luke and I made a special early morning trip to get some.  Before I left I researched to see if there was any type or brand of donut that is dairy free.  I couldn't find anything.  So we went to Turkey Hill to get some Maple Donuts (Zach's favorite) and I read just about every sweet breakfast treat label on the shelf.  Every single one contains milk.  Sigh.

So we paid for our donuts and went home to eat them, all in front of Lauren and couldn't give her a bite.  Now she was happy with her oatmeal but she watches every single thing you eat and signs that she wants some.  And 99% of the time I have to tell her no. It's awful.  I fear it's only going to get worse when she realizes what she's missing.  I know to some people a food allergy might not seem like that big of a deal, but think about holidays, family gatherings, vacations, parties and how they all revolve around food in some way.  Celebrations involve food, that's just how it is and Lauren can't partake in almost any of it. 

I send in daily substitutions to daycare for her because she is able to eat maybe 40-45% of their menu.  We pack all of her food if we leave the house and the more I read the more I'm thinking she can't eat out at all.  I found a few blogs that I follow about other moms with dairy free kiddos and it helps in a way but also stresses me out more when they talk about things I never thought of before. 

So I'm not sure what the point of this all is, just venting my stress lately.  And I don't want any 'woe is me' response either.  I'll figure it out, we'll all be good, but some days it flat out sucks.

2 comments:

Mom said...

I'm saying my prayers that she outgrows this real soon. You are such a good mom and do so much. Love ya.

ABA said...

My prayers, too, that she will outgrow this allergy. Hang in there, mom - you are one fantastic mommy to two adorable kiddos !!!